The tanner and alderman Jacob Westin donated his large and valuable collection of printed works, pictures, maps and manuscripts to Uppsala University Library at the time of its 4th centenary in 1877. Westin's collection was one of the largest and most valuable collections ever donated to the University Library collected by a single person.
Important subject areas for Jacob Westin, the collector, were geography, history, topography and literature and also genealogy and biographies. The Westin Collection spans from the 15th century to the 1870s.
Jacob Westin (1810-1880) was a tanner by profession, and owned a tannery business. In 1857, Westin became a full-time collector. The Westin book collection contains 22,256 volumes, spanning a period from the 15th century to the 1870s. The manuscript collection consists of around 1,800 volumes, with a geographic emphasis on Stockholm. The collections also include maps and images such as drawings and graphic sheets. The entire collection was donated by Westin to Uppsala University Library in 1877 in connection with the library’s 400th anniversary. He was awarded an honorary doctorate.
- Davidsson, Åke, Katalog över Westinska handskriftssamlingen i Uppsala universitetsbibliotek, Kungl. Humanistiska Vetenskapssamfundet, Uppsala, 1989.
The following catalogues are in Carolina Rediviva's catalogue room and have been created by Westin himself or on his orders.
- Westin's printed collection (looseleaf catalogues).
- Westin's collection of Swedish newspapers (looseleaf catalogues).
- Westin's collection of charts and posters (card catalogue).
- Davidsson, Åke, Westinska samlingen. Ett hundraårsjubileum, Universitetsbiblioteket, Uppsala, 1982 (Uppsala universitetsbiblioteks utställningskataloger, 10)
- Grape, Anders, 'Om Jacob Westin och hans samlingar', i Kungl. Humanistiska vetenskapssamfundet i Uppsala. Högtidssammanskomsten den 13 oktober 1930, Uppsala, 1931, s. 8-26
- Munkhammar, Lars: "Collectors", in The Apples of their Eyes - collectors' collections at Uppsala University Library, ed. Xtina Wootz, (Uppsala universitetsbiblioteks utställningskataloger 47) 2008
- Meyer, Ernst, 'Några anteckningar om Westinska samlingarna å Uppsala universitetsbibliotek', in Samfundet S:t Eriks årsbok, 1907, p. 87-100
Phone: 018-471 39 00
Phone and chat available weekdays 9-18.
25 June-10 August: phone and chat available weekdays 10-13.
13-31 August: phone and chat available weekdays 9-15.