The Gyllenhielm Library
The Gyllenhielm Library is named after Carl Carlsson Gyllenhielm (1574-1650), son of Duke Karl (later King Karl IX) and Karin Nilsdotter, daughter of a clergyman.
The primary subject areas include political science, legal science and history, but older parts of the collection also contain a large selection of classic authors and a variety of dictionaries.
The books in the collection are not currently registered in LIBRIS, but are catalogued in an older card catalogue or in writing. These catalogues may be searched after contacting the Section for Early Printed Books and the Section for Manuscripts.
Gyllenhielm, who served as Lord High Admiral, instituted a scholarship for students to pursue the “literary arts” under the supervision of the Skytte professor. The prize would cover the costs of clothing and books for the student. After the period of study, the books would be left at the Skytte House to benefit future students. These books formed the foundation of the Gyllenhielm Library. The collection comprised about 480 volumes in 1785 and grew via book donations, including the book collection belonging to the county governor Hans Järta and Skyttean professor Carl Thomas Järta.
In 1925, the Johan Skytte Foundation left the collection in the care of the University Library. The majority of the original collection, about 320 metres of shelf space, is in the Section for Early Printed Books, but individual works are placed in the University Library’s Section for Manuscripts and Section for Maps and Pictures. In addition, a fairly large number of books have been placed in the residence of the county governor at Uppsala Castle.
Phone: 018-471 39 00
Phone and chat available weekdays 9-18.
Changed opening hours Wednesday 17/10: chat and phone available 9:00-11:30, 13:00-18:00.