Newspapers and Magazines
Do you want to read today’s newspaper, or search for articles in an older newspaper?
The University Library has databases of full text newspapers, microfilmed newspapers and, sometimes, original newspapers. You can make direct searches in full text databases, or find references to articles via our databases.
About the journal collections
Many Swedish newspapers are searchable in the full text media database Retriever Research (Mediearkivet). The newspapers have different start years but some titles go back approximately 25 years, sometimes longer.
In the microfilm reading room on level 5 at Carolina Rediviva, you will find computers with full access to the Royal Library's search tool Swedish newspapers, in which you will find digitised Swedish newspapers from 2014 and on. The newest material is inserted with two- three months delay. In addition, the search tool includes a selection of older Swedish newspaper material which has already been digitised. The work on digitisation is ongoing.
All Swedish newspapers in print have been continually microfilmed for the period 1979-2013. Many of the newspapers have been retrospectively microfilmed since their first year of publication. The National Library of Sweden was responsible for microfilming Swedish newspapers. In the National Library’s list of microfilmed Swedish newspapers Mikrofilmade svenska dagstidningar you will be able to find which newspaper titles are available to read in Uppsala University Library.
Microfilmed newspapers can be read in the microfilm reading room at Carolina Rediviva.. While the microfilm reading room houses primarily microfilmed Swedish newspapers, there are also some foreign newspaper titles on microfilm, likewise some older Swedish periodicals and magazines (Allers, Se, Tidevarvet, Vi and more).
The microfilm reading room also has microfilm reader/copiers.
Foreign newspapers in digital form
The database Library Press Display provides access to more than 1,000 newspaper titles from 82 countries, and the full text is available for up to 60 days in back files. The content corresponds to the content in the newspapers’ print editions.
The database Factiva contains news material from 118 countries in 22 different languages, including from newspapers and the business and financial press.
The University Library also offers access to some historic digitised newspapers:
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers (British newspapers from the 19th century)
- New York Times (1851-2007) with Index (1851-1993)
- Pravda Digital Archive (1912-2009)
- The Guardian (1821-2003) and The Observer (1791-2003)
- The Times Digital Archive (1785-1985)
Most unit libraries subscribe to a few Swedish newspapers, but they are normally only saved for a short time.
A larger selection of Swedish and foreign newspapers is available in the Carolina Library (Carolinabiblioteket). Current newspapers are laid out in the Periodical Reading Room (Tidskriftsläsesalen (TLS)). The Swedish dailies are saved for a week and the foreign dailies for about one month. See here for a list of newspaper titles available in the Periodical Reading Room at the Carolina Library.
Older Swedish original newspapers (in print format) are available in Carolina Rediviva as far back as the publication year 1850. These can be ordered in or via the the Carolina Library's information desk and then read in the Special Reading Room. The older historic newspapers can be searched for in a card catalogue. After 1851, the Swedish newspapers are only available on microfilm.
Search and find newspapers
In addition to the databases mentioned above, you can also search for articles and newspapers here:
- The Library’s search service – limit your search to “Tidningsartikel” (newspaper article).
- PressReader – news items and full text newspapers from all over the world
- Artikelsøg – search for articles in Danish newspapers
- Artikelsök – search for articles in Swedish newspapers
- Brages pressarkiv – search for articles in Finnish newspapers
- Historiska tidningsbiblioteket – search for digitised older Finnish newspapers
- Svenskt pressregister – a record of articles in Swedish metropolitan newspapers 1880-1906
- Svensk dagpress (INETMEDIA) (Swedish daily newspapers)
- Svenska dagstidningar - webb-versionerna (Swedish newspapers in online versions, collected by the National Library of Sweden)
- Nyheter – newspapers, news agencies and other news sources in Sweden and internationally
- Onlinenewspapers – newspapers and news items from all over the world
- Newspaper digitization projects – digitised international daily press