Manuscript Collections at Carolina Rediviva
The manuscript collections at Uppsala University Library have been growing since the 17th century through donations and purchase and fill approximately 4000 shelf meters today.
Search and find manuscripts
There are many different manuscript collections at Carolina Rediviva. In most cases, you have to be at the library to use the catalogues. However, some materials can be found in the following digital catalogues:
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitized cultural heritage, including archives of individuals, families and organisations kept at Uppsala University Library and in other libraries.
- Catalogue of the manuscripts ordered according to subject - an online version of the library's manuscript collection catalogue according to subject available as PDFs.
- Catalogue of medieval manuscripts - an online version of the library's western medieval manuscripts catalogue (in German).
- Catalogue of the Gustavian Collection - an online version of the Gustavian Collection.
- Catalogue of the Ihre Collection - an online version of Anders Grape's catalogue of the eighteenth century linguist Johan Ihre's manuscript collection.
- Catalogue of the Nordin Collection - an online version of the Nordin manuscript collection catalogue available as PDFs.
- Catalogue of the Palmskiöld Collection - an online version of the Palmskiöld manuscript collection catalogue available as PDF.
- Waller catalogue - the catalogue of Dr. Erik Waller's collection of manuscripts. It is one of the largest historical autograph collections, i.e. letters and other original manuscripts written by scientists, doctors, philosophers, humanists, politicians and explorers from all over the world. The collection covers the period from the Middle Ages to the 1950s. All the documents have been scanned and are available online.
- Catalogue of the Persian manuscripts – an online version of the catalogue of the library’s Persian manuscripts (in Persian). English version
Request materials from the catalogues above via a digital order form.
N.B. The catalogues above currently represent a very small portion of the manuscript collections at Uppsala University Library. We are happy to assist you with further searches in the manuscript collections.
Donating materials to the library
Are you considering handing over your archive to the library? Or do you have a one-off manuscript that you think may be valuable to future research?
Phone: 018-471 39 00
Phone and chat available weekdays 9-18.