Manuscript Collections at Carolina Rediviva
The manuscript collections at Uppsala University Library fill approximately 4,000 metres of shelves and consist partly of individual manuscripts, partly of the archives of people and organisations.
- Archives of individuals and organisations
- Autograph albums
- Autograph collections
- Letter collections
- Manuscripts according to subject
- Oriental manuscripts
- Specific manuscript collections
- Western medieval manuscripts
About the manuscript collections
The collections have been growing since the 17th century through donations and purchase. The Section for Manuscripts and Music takes care of the Library's manuscript collections and makes them available at Carolina Rediviva.
You can find not only medieval manuscripts and historical documents here, but also complete collections of letters belonging to modern writers and well-known people in the sphere of culture. We also have musical scores and Sweden's most valuable book which is one of the world's most famous manuscripts, the Codex argenteus, from the 6th century.
Search and find manuscripts
There are many different manuscript collections at Carolina Rediviva. In most cases, you have to be in the library itself to be able to use the catalogues that the staff at the Section for Special collections can provide for you. However, some titles can be found in the following digital catalogues:
- Alvin - platform for digital collections and digitized cultural heritage, including archives of individuals, families and organisations kept at Uppsala University Library and in other libraries.
- Catalogue of the manuscripts ordered according to subject - an online version of the library's manuscript collection catalogue according to subject available as PDFs.
- Catalogue of medieval manuscripts - an online version of the library's western medieval manuscripts catalogue (in German).
- Catalogue of the Gustavian Collection - an online version of the Gustavian Collection.
- Catalogue of the Ihre Collection - an online version of Anders Grape's catalogue of the eighteenth century linguist Johan Ihre's manuscript collection.
- Catalogue of the Nordin Collection - an online version of the Nordin manuscript collection catalogue available as PDFs.
- Catalogue of the Palmskiöld Collection - an online version of the Palmskiöld manuscript collection catalogue available as PDF.
- Waller catalogue - the catalogue of Dr. Erik Waller's collection of manuscripts. It is one of the largest historical autograph collections, i.e. letters and other original manuscripts written by scientists, doctors, philosophers, humanists, politicians and explorers from all over the world. The collection covers the period from the Middle Ages to the 1950s. All the documents have been scanned and are available online.
- Catalogue of the Persian manuscripts – an online version of the catalogue of the library’s Persian manuscripts (in Persian). English version
N.B. Request materials from the catalogues above via an order form online: Order form. Please note that the catalogues above currently represent a very small portion of the manuscript collections at Uppsala University Library. Our staff will be happy to assist you with further searches in the manuscript collections.
Donating materials to the library
Are you considering handing over your archive to the library? Or do you have a one-off manuscript that you think may be valuable to future research?
Phone: 018-471 39 00
Phone and chat available weekdays 9-18.